The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) released a revised version (rev. 7/17/17) of the Form I-9 that must be used by employers. This form is a ‘smart’ form, which means it can be filled out electronically. An updated printed version is also available.
The form must be signed on a printed copy. Electronic signatures are not allowed on this version of the form.
This form does not download well in Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. If you are having issues downloading the forms, follow the instructions provided here.
Updates to Form I-9
Most of these updates were primarily implemented to help reduce technical errors for which employers could have been fined. These changes have also been added to the revised Handbook for Employers: Guidance for Completing Form I-9 (M-274).
- Section 1 asks for “other last names used” rather than “other names used,” to avoid possible discrimination issues and to protect the privacy of transgender and other individuals who have changed their first names.
- Streamlined certification for certain foreign nationals (for example: the requirement that immigrants authorized to work provide both their Form I-94 number and foreign passport information in Section 1 has been removed).
- Added the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) to List C.
- The instructions have been separated from the form, in line with other USCIS forms, and include specific instructions for completing each field.
- The revised Form I-9 is also easier to complete on a computer. Enhancements include drop-down lists and calendars for filling in dates, on-screen instructions for each field, easy access to the full instructions, and an option to clear the form and start over. When the employer prints the completed form, a quick response (QR) code is automatically generated that can be used to streamline enforcement audits.
- The ability to enter multiple preparers and translators.
- A dedicated area for including additional information rather than having to add it in the margins.
- A supplemental page for the preparer/translator.
For a refresher on completing the required Form I-9, watch MRA’s short video on How to Complete an I-9 Form.
Need to make sure your I-9 process is following the regulations? MRA’s HR Audit team can help you proactively make sure you are in compliance.