Words to live by when gearing up for a job interview, where one small misstep could cost you big. So what should you really focus on to seal the deal? We recommend these five must-dos at any job interview.
1. Understand the company you’re meeting with. Know who they are, what they do, how long they’ve been around. Have the basics down.
2. Dress for success. Keep in mind the industry you’re interviewing for and dress the part. Wearing jeans and a nice shirt is fine for some interviews, a big no-no for others.
3. Be prepared to sell yourself. Explain why you are the right one for the position with examples of your skills and past experiences.
4. Practice well thought out answers for commonly asked questions. Having a polished comeback will make you look good, and knowing the answer when asked will take some of the stress off.
5. Hand-write a thank you note after the interview. Not only proof that the art of writing with a pen and paper is alive and well, it shows your true interest in the position and that you are grateful for the time spent.