Next week is the 4th of July, which means summer is in full gear. And almost half over. How is that even possible you ask? We don’t know either…
With that in mind, here’s a gentle reminder that there’s no better time than the present to take a break from work and focus on yourself. Here are five quintessential summertime activities to consider doing with your second half of summer 2019.
- Go jump in the lake. Literally. But make sure it’s a really hot, humid day, the kind where you can’t wait to dive in. Swimming in the refreshing water while taking in the beautiful surroundings can only be enjoyed a few months out of the year in these parts. Don’t miss this opportunity!
- Plan a picnic. Sounds basic, but when was the last time you went on a picnic? Make some sandwiches, pack some drinks, fold up a big blanket and head out to a park. Enjoy a meal and some unplugged time with nature. Bring some friends, (or not), a book or a frisbee and make an afternoon of it, you’ll be glad you did.
- Host an all-American backyard barbeque. We aren’t talking fancy. Hot dogs, burgers, corn on the cob and a summertime salad. Maybe a watermelon for dessert. Invite some family and friends, sit down and catch up. When’s the best time to fire up the grill and take the cooking outside? It’s now, so take advantage!
- Watch a water-ski show. This one is a bit random but trust us – So. Much. Fun. Performances are once or twice a week for the summer months and are usually free. We promise you’ll be amazed at what these people can do with skis on their feet in the water. Most folks we know can’t do this stuff on dry land.
- Take in an outdoor concert. Under the moon and stars would be our first choice, but live music outside any time of day is the bomb. Many cities have band shells that host free concerts all summer long, and church festivals are known for their free, all-ages concerts. Don’t want to bring the kids? No problem. An outdoor show makes for a perfect summertime date night.