MRA was proud to bring the first DisruptHR event to Des Moines.
Check out the speaker tab to view the videos, and read the key takeaways from each presentation and see the cool illustrations done for each speaker. Be sure to also check out the photo page to see all the fun that was had and perhaps spot yourself!
Check back here and follow us on social media to get current information on DisruptHR Des Moines! If you are interested in being considered to present or in being a sponsor—let us know!
MRA – The Management Association
JOIN THE REBELLION!
Interested in disrupting the Des Moines HR scene?
If you have something to share, an idea you want to test out, or something you’ve always wanted to say about the future of HR and talent, let us know and we'll keep you in mind for our next event! Meanwhile watch these awesome talks for inspiration and to see what other disruptors are saying.
DisruptHR Des Moines: October 11, 2017 Speakers
Here are the speakers from our inaugural DisruptHR Des Moines event on October 11, 2017. Each speaker had five minutes to blow our mind! For photos from the event see our photos tab.
Sr. HR Business Intelligence Consultant, Principal
DANGER – Restricted Area
- It’s not that crazy to make compensation transparent; plenty of organizations/industries already do it.
- Compensation transparency helps employees do their jobs better and combats wage disparity.
- Being transparent on a topic like this can help you build a culture that is more transparent.
Founder/President, Copper Black Services
Welcome to the New Forever: Finding Success in Post-Humanity
- We are in a new and unprecedented era of how we perceive, create, and act.
- This means that to be successful in our personal and organizational lives, we have to redefine and restructure what it means to be human.
- In order to do this, we have to embrace the idea of sacrifice and the need for divergent thinking.
Principal Consultant, Catalyst Collaborative, Inc
Generation Next: How You Can Help Shape Our Future Workforce
- Engaging local students earlier gives businesses the opportunity to develop and shape their future workforce.
- Work-based programming provides students with opportunities to learn more about your work culture and improve their 21st century skills.
- It is never too early to create a pipeline of job-ready applicants.
Motivational Speaker, Jeff Hobbs, Motivational Speaker
Courage for the Challenge
- It is important to lead your life with purpose.
- Change your mind, change your life.
Executive Coach, ActionCOACH Executive Coaching
Creating an Above the Point Culture
- Great leaders guide their culture and environment.
- It is a choice to live above the point—take ownership, accountability, and responsibility for everything that you do.
- Leaders model the way and teach their team how to live above the point.
Director, Government Affairs, MRA - The Management Association
Keep Calm – It’s Only the DOL
- Don't panic! Going through a DOL audit does not have to be a scary endeavor.
- Don’t argue! Tell your story, be prepared, own your mistakes up front, give clear answers, make the auditor comfortable and his or her job easy. The auditor is looking at plain numbers and dry text—turn your records into a story. You will be surprised how far this gets you!
Senior Associate Consultant, Newport Group
Trash Performance Management!
- Articulate what several Fortune 500 companies are doing to “reboot” their performance management processes.
- Understand what a small organization might do to employ some of these tactics.
- Be able to pinpoint the rationale for what you expect out of a performance management system and compensate appropriately.
CEO, Skill Scout
Oh the Talent You'll Find: The Untold Dr. Seuss Story
- Stand out from the crowd by bringing your job posts to life through photo and video.
- Our brains are wired for stories and processing visuals. It's how we learn best!
- There's nothing standing in your way! If you've got a smartphone, you've got the makings to be a great workplace storyteller.
Dr. Deb Oliver
Executive Director, Iowa Quality Center
Five Hour Workday = Future Reality
- Accept this challenge...TRY it! Tomorrow try to accomplish your work in five hours...how can you save three hours?
- What can you adopt from these ideas to improve the life of your employees?
- Do you want to be ahead of the curve, ride the wave, OR be washed away by the riptide, when employees learn of this new way of working?
Don't Fear the Side Hustle, Embrace It
- A side hustle culture enables team members to gain skills off the clock, encourages them to pursue their passions, and provides opportunities to experiment, learn, fail, and grow.
- A side hustle culture enables your organization to gain outside of the box thinking and inspire and retain talent, by embracing their dreams and goals outside of their day-to-day work.